Saturday, August 19, 2006

Babysitting Surprise

I keep finding Zeus in really funny spots in the house. His new place, lately, has been under the rocking chair in the baby's room. Soon as we get the screen door up, the cats won't be allowed anywhere near the baby's room. (So no cat hair gets in).


The carpet in the baby's room needs a shampooing, but I need to dump out everything that's on the floor, elsewhere, so I can do the entire floor. Eventually I will get around to it. Maybe this week. I borrowed from my parents, this vaccum cleaner that shampoos carpets. Pretty neat machine, just need the time and energy to do so! The walls in the baby's room will remain beige. I have a nice set from my sister-in-law that is all bears. It was in my nephew's room. It has curtains (I only need 1 as there is only 1 window in the baby's room) and the crib bumper, and the sheet set, and the comforter, etc.... it's gorgeous. I have almost all the pieces from her already, just waiting on the rest to be brought over.


I love the little nook in the baby's room. Right now I have the two pillows that Cynthia made me on the rocking chair, but I need to make padding for the chair. I have a 2nd curtain (pattern below - isn't it cute?) and only 1 window in the baby's room. I'm thinking about making the cushions for the chair out of the same pattern, but I am still new to my sewing machine, so maybe I'll get some help from someone with more experience!





Yey - the baby's room is starting to come along!

Today I worked on the sock that I am doing for the paid job. It's coming along great... I hope I'm not knitting it too tightly. I did swatch, and got the guage right on track, I am just worried it won't be to their liking and they won't ever hire me again. (Ok, I'm just a worry wart - what can I say)

This evening, for 5pm, I went babysitting. I don't do this often, but my dad's best friend was stuck. They had a 40th birthday dinner for someone, and needed a babysitter bad.

When I got there, I was shocked to be babysitting FOUR kids, instead of 2, and no one told me in advance, and I even spoke to my dad's best friend's wife the night before to find out what time to be there... no mention of the fact that her neices were sleeping over (they were there for the entire weekend).


I took the kids to the park, and then we came back and ate dinner. Then they attempted to play monopoly, which was hard with two younger kids (4 and 7) , it seemed the the two older kids (9 and 10) were telling the younger kids what to do, and how to play. I had to break up a few disagreements, but in the end, they gave up and decided to watch Cat in the Hat (with Mike Meyers). I worked on the paid knitting. After Cat in the Hat, we watched Lion King 1.5, which I had not seen yet, and which was very cute.

Three kids (the three youngest ones), fell asleep during Lion King, so the oldest one (10 year old girl) helped me put them to bed, and they went to bed. I am about to go watch Disc 2 of Oprah's 20th Anniversary Set.

My Aunt sent me this, it's really cute:

THE BIRTH ORDER OF CHILDREN

Your Clothes:
1st baby: You begin wearing maternity
clothes as soon as yourOB/GYN confirms your pregnancy.
2nd baby: You wear your regular clothes for as long as possible.
3rd baby: Your maternity clothes ARE your regular clothes.

Preparing for the Birth:
1st baby: You practice your breathing religiously.
2nd baby: You don't bother because you remember that last time, breathing didn't do a thing. 3rd baby: You ask for an epidural in your eighth month.

The Layette:
1st baby: You pre-wash newborn's clothes, color-coordinate them,
and fold them neatly in the baby's little bureau.
2nd baby: You check to make sure that the clothes are clean and
discard only the ones with the darkest stains.
3rd baby: Boys can wear pink, can't they?

Worries:
1st baby: At the first sign of distress--a whimper, a frown--you pick up the baby.
2nd baby: You pick the baby up when her wails threaten to wake your firstborn.
3rd baby: You teach your three-year-old how to rewind the mechanical swing.

Pacifier:
1st baby: If the pacifier falls on the floor,
you put it away until you can go home and wash and boil it.
2nd baby: When the pacifier falls on the floor, you squirt it off
with some juice from the baby's bottle.
3rd baby: You wipe it off on your shirt and pop it back in.

Diapering:
1st baby: You change your baby's diapers every hour, whether they need it or not.
2nd baby: You change their diaper every two to three hours, if needed.
3rd baby: You try to change their diaper before others start to
complain about the smell or you see it sagging to their knees.

Activities:
1st baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics, Baby Swing, and Baby Story Hour.
2nd baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics.
3rd baby: You take your infant to the supermarket and the dry cleaner.

Going Out:
1st baby: The first time you leave your baby with a sitter, you call home five times.
2nd baby: Just before you walk out the door,
you remember to leave a number where you can be reached.
3rd baby: You leave instructions for the sitter to call only if she sees blood.

At Home:
1st baby: You spend a good bit of every day just gazing at the baby.
2nd baby: You spend a bit of everyday watching to be sure
your older child isn't squeezing, poking, or hitting the baby.
3rd baby: You spend a little bit of every day hiding from the children.

Swallowing Coins (a favorite):
1st child: When first child swallows a coin, you rush the child to the hospital and demand x-rays. 2nd child: When second child swallows a coin, you carefully watch for the coin to pass.
3rd child: When third child swallows a coin you deduct it from his allowance!

No comments: