Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sean's Brit Milah

Today was Sean's Brit Milah. Usually it's done on the 8th day of a Jewish boy's life, but because of Sean's small birth size, it was delayed until he weighed at least 5 lbs 8 oz. In a few days I will be able to weigh him again (borrowing a baby scale from someone) and as of Wednesday he was 5 lbs 4 oz, and he has been gaining about 1 oz a day, so I'm sure that he's at about 5 lbs 8 or 9 oz by today, providing that he's still gaining about an ounce a day!

Brit Milah is considered the sign of a new-born child's entry into the Jewish tradition. It is considered much more than a simple medical procedure. The procedure is extremely quick, and relatively painless. (Apparently!) Sean had a topical anaesthetic cream (EMLA®) which numbed the area. Sean was also "named" today, and his hebrew name is Chaim Dov. Chaim was my late grandfather's name, and Dov means bear. We just liked the two together, and that's how we chose his hebrew name.

You can read more on Brit Milah here. (In case you are curious).

So, today, a very overwhelming day, my son was circumcised. I have not really had time to go through the photos, but here are two photos, just before the circumcision took place.


This is Mohel Spiro, telling everyone what is going on, with us in the background.

And this is Jamie passing Sean off to the Mohel, and we're laughing because the Mohel said that it's usually the father who does the circumcision and Jamie said,
"No that's okay, I trust you'll do a good job, I'll leave that to you...!"


Sean was a VERY good sport. He only let out a small little cry just BEFORE the circumcision took place, and he didn't cry during. He's been a very sleepy baby the rest of the day, thank goodness, and he's handling it like a trooper! I couldn't watch what was going on, but I am glad I was in the room to make sure Sean was doing well. It made me feel better.

This evening Jamie & I watched the premier of 24... looking forward to another good season!

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Dang, I forgot 24 was on! I loved the info on Sean. I never had a boy, but I am very interested in the whole ceremony. You all looked very relaxed, and beautiful. Are you sure you just had a baby???

Creative Genius? said...

Congratulations!!! and Mazel Tov! Glad to hear things went smootly!

Lain said...

Oh my goodness, what a great occasion! And Jamie was wise to pass it off on the Rabbi. :)
xoxoxxo
L

Barb said...

Glad everythimg went well for you :)

K. said...

Mazel Tov sweety! You look great in that pic! Can't wait to see you again!

Karine said...

Mazel tov to Sean for being a good sport. That Rabbi looks about as old a Mathusaleh though...

Christina said...

Congrats (mazel tov) to Sean on reaching his big milestone! I'm glad to hear that everything went smoothly and that he was relaxed through the whole thing.

g-girl said...

mazel tov indeed! I had no idea that it's usually the father who does it. I think I would've passed it on to the mohel too. glad to hear that it was pretty painless for Sean too!

Maggie BB said...

ahaha, I know what EMLA is! I've used that!

(i'm such a dork, I get excited when I know stuff... which sadly isn't very often :P)

and Sean continues to be super super cute :D