Monday, May 11, 2009

may eleven

This morning at the nutritionist's office I'm officially down 28.6 lbs. I'm 1.4 lbs away from having lost 30 lbs! I'm 6.4 lbs away from my goal. Why is it so hard to lose the last 6.4 lbs? I feel like it's going to be a challenge.

On my way home from the nutritionist, I did a post office run, and had to run straight home as Mack was getting cranky, I knew, it was nap time for him. Mack's very predictable. He's on a schedule (which is fantastic actually), and he likes to nap, eat, and go to bed (even wake up) at certain hours. I never had that with Sean, so this is a whole new ball game.

I walked today to get Sean from daycare. It was super quick and fast getting to daycare (20 minute walk) but the way home was super long as adding 30 lbs (Sean's about 30 lbs give or take with clothes on), to the double umbrella stroller makes it a little bit more difficult to push! It was quite the work out let me tell you. Both boys enjoyed the walk, and it took me about an hour in total to go to the school, get Sean, and then walk back. It was great exercise. I do plan on walking more to get Sean, but right now the weather is totally unpredictable, and if it's going to be the slightest sign of possible rain, I don't want to get stuck out in the rain on the way back. (Getting stuck in the rain and getting wet and cold is grounds for me getting bronchitis again, and knock on wood it's been months since I've been sick).

Jazz isn't doing too well, or looking well. It started with him not eating much yesterday at all. So Jamie told me to keep an eye on him today while I was home. He is very fragile up and down the stairs, so we found him curled up by the litter box in the basement for the most part of the evening last night. So while I was home today I brought him into our bedroom and put him on the bed, and sat with him. I did see him drink a bit of water today, but at some point in the afternoon he threw it up. He was going in circles and walking into things.

By this evening when Jamie got home from work, we were really concerned about the cat. While we ate dinner, we gave Jazz some tuna (his favourite). He threw it up an hour later. By the time we put the kids to bed, he really wasn't doing so well. So I called my mother to come over and watch over the house while the kids slept, and by the time she got over to our house Jazz was panting and his tongue was sticking out and drool was coming out of his mouth. It was as if he was going into some comatose state. It was really weird.

We rushed him to my cousin's animal hospital in the city. One of the doctors was still there at this time. (My cousin was at home, not on call this evening).

The drive down there seemed to be the longest drive ever into the city. I swear, it usually feels faster, but I guess not when you're in a situation like this.

It was shortly after 9pm when we got there. The vet listened to his chest and said it sounded like there was fluids in his lungs and checked his eyes and saw that he had a detached retina in his good eye (from birth his other eye wasn't so good), which is why he was walking into things. She also said it's possible he has a heart murmur but that she'd know more after doing some tests. The vet said they'd do an xray and some bloodwork and she would call us in about an hour or so to let us know what was going on.

I have a hunch that Jazz will not be coming home. So I said my goodbyes, and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

The doctor finally called us back, just a few minutes ago, two hours after we'd seen her, and boy was that wait a long time - though nothing has changed. They will have to run more tests tomorrow because nothing has been conclusive, but they did start draining the fluids from his lungs. We'll only know more tomorrow. Going to go crash now to get my mind off things.

6 comments:

Bea said...

Oh no. I can't even begin to think how hard this is for you. I hope he pulls through!

T of Balkan Style Bloggers said...

Well done on the weight loss! You've almost loss an entire child! On another note, I hope that you get some news soon from the vet. All the best.

Craftlover said...

wish the cat get well soon. :(
I think the kids miss it huh.

Bertha said...

Oh no! I hope Jazz pulls through!!

g-girl said...

oh no...sorry to hear about jazz. :(

Tara said...

Schedules are awesome for kids. They strive on structure, right? And good for you, walking to daycare! Every little bit of exercise you can get will help you achieve your goal.