Tuesday, October 26, 2010

10.26.10

workbookz
Sean's been asking me to learn to read & write. He can almost write his own name (however his letters come out sideways), so I started to look for workbooks. We've also started sounding out words for things and having him guess what letters the word uses to spell it. He's pretty good. He's really a sponge and soaks up all information and remembers everything. I am hoping these workbooks I picked up for him, (Alphabet, Numbers, Shapes, etc..) help him learn to use a pencil to write. I hope to find time this weekend to sit down with him and work in the book.

minimuffins
I did a trial run today for the mini muffins (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip) that I will be making for the Halloween party the boys have on Friday at daycare. I am not sure why I put my name down to make muffins (at 32 weeks pregnant). Why didn't I just put my name down for buying chips? It would have been so much easier. Oh well (though, I'll remember this for the Xmas party in December, as I'll be recovering from a Csection then, as well have a newborn). The test muffins came out great, and they are very yummy. And they are so cute. Too bad they're bite size... makes you want to keep eating them.

boxpouchstrap
Tonight in my sewing class I made this box pouch. (It's currently got my current sock project in it). We used this tutorial, though had to alter it big time, because it's an extremely crappy tutorial. Basically the author of the pattern wrote out a bunch of dimensions and stuff, but then herself, changed up the zipper size, and didn't change the dimensions of the material so if you use the shorter zipper, there is too much material, and if you use the longer zipper, the bag does not come out like a box pouch, more like a long pencil case, which is not what I wanted. Very badly done tutorial, unfortunately. I've tried a few other "free" online tutorials before, but none of them ever came out to the size pouch that I wanted. I guess I will keep searching until I find something I like. I do have to say that I am getting better at using the zipper foot though.

Speaking of sewing, I really have a few things that I have to get done. Where does time go? Really? Slowly starting to feel a bit of anxiety over all the things that I have to do before baby boy's arrival (not including those sewing items). Breathe in... breathe out.

Don't forget that I'm having a contest to win a ton of awesome prizes! If you want to win, just simply leave a comment anywhere on this blog until midnight, Oct 31st, 2010, as I'll be drawing winners on Monday, November 1st, 2010. Good luck!

11 comments:

Celia said...

One thing a teacher did with my daughter when she was learning to write was to have her squeeze and relax on a chip clip. It helps with stregnth and control.

elizabeth said...

I love that bag! I learned late to volunteer for things like chips and soda (not that they can have soda anymore). I was always kicking myself when I saw other moms bring in the easy items! Paper plates! I can do that!

jacquelyn karp said...

I used workbooks with my son before he started school... they were a God-send!! He was so prepared when he went to school that he enjoyed school so much... and still does (he's almost 13 now).

Caroline said...

I love love love the bag. I wish I knew how to sew!

Lacey said...

Wish those muffins teleported to my mouth man- yummy looking! :D

g-girl said...

oatmeal chocolate chip muffins?? YUM! Must get the recipe from you! Yes, keep this as a reminder to sign up for chips come December. lol. Ooh, you should get some tweezers (bigger than the ones for plucking eyebrows) so that Sean can strengthen his fine motor skills..chopsticks work too..have him pick up peanuts or something with them. playdough works as well.

kristo said...

It looks like your bag turned out great! I have one that I got in a swap, and I LOVE it.... I wish I knew how to make them myself.

Amelah said...

Cute bag! Like i said i have been trying to find one to make, but all the free ones are way to tiny! Found a few i liked through the Rav group, but the one i wanted to buy said like $7 shipping, which is retarded. I emailed the company to see if they email it, if the $7 gets removed in check out and so far I never heard back from them. Sigh.

Any excess muffins feel free to send to my work :) :)

Tara said...

Awesome project bag, Robyn! And it's a well-known fact that mini muffins have no calories, so you can eat as many of them as you want, heh.

Bea said...

Love the books. Sean is such a smart boy.

Rosebelleknits said...

Very cute box bag. Do you plan to sell them?

Rosebelleknits