Thursday, October 18, 2012

How Do Babies…

From yesterday morning, Oct 17, 2012

Out of no where as we are getting ready to walk out the door to catch the school bus…

Sean: "Mommy how do babies get cut out of your belly?"

Me: "My doctor at the hospital used a special knife and opened my belly and took out the baby and then sews back up my belly with either stitches or staples, I don’t remember."

Sean: "Oh, really?"

Me: "Yes, really."

Sean: "So you had this done to you 3 times?"

Me: "No, actually, only for Mackenzie and Quentin, I had you another way."

Sean: "There's another way?"

Me: "Yes, you came out of my vagina."

Sean gives a strange quizzical look.

Me (in a panic to come up with something but don’t want to get to much into it): "You know how boys have a penis and girls have a vagina?* Well... you have to catch the school bus right now, so put on your jacket and get your hat and gloves and let's get out the door before I have to drive you to school.”

Hopefully I dodged that bullet for a little while...

_______________
* The boys are aware of boys and girls private parts. They have asked me how come I don't have a penis, so we have educated them on the differences between girls and boys bodies… so body parts have been explained already. This wasn’t new words for him.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

SO much easier to straightforwardly talk to kids about things, then make up stories that then have to be changed as they get older. We have always been pretty upfront with our son. (he started the same questions about the same time as Sean). We found if we treated it like a regular conversation, he was fine. If we made a big deal of it, he remembered for a lot longer, and brought it up MUCH more often!!

Kerry said...

I totally agree with Sandra. Giving them a matter of fact response and not making a huge deal has always worked in our house. They're going to ask those kinds of questions sooner or later, better they learn the correct answers from us than from their friends on the playground.

Celia said...

When I was pregnant with Benny, Lydie had gone on a field trip to a dairy and saw a baby cow being born. She asked, "Is that how human babies are born?" I said, "Yes, pretty much." She said, "Ewww! That's gross."

Unknown said...

Ahahaha yea kids. I've explained it to my older two but they don't believe me so... lol. I think they've learned about the being cut open part and that's the only thing that they think is real, no matter what I tell them. Stubborn kids.

Teena in Toronto said...

I don't envy you that conversation :)

Taci simmons said...

I remember those days ! Fun times :)

Dawn said...

Ha ha ha that is hilarious! I have had to have the very same convo with my boys recently.