Tuesday, October 02, 2012

I’m Not Ready for This Convo…

Sean and I were talking yesterday in the car on the way home from picking up his brothers at daycare. He noticed that our daycare coordinator was driving her niece home and thought it was her daughter. I explained to Sean that it was her niece, and that she only had a son. He didn't understand what a niece was, so I explained to him, he is the nephew to his Auntie A (Jamie’s sister), and her son M is his cousin, M is also my nephew, which is the boy version of niece. I then told him that one day his Auntie A (my sister) and his Uncle C (my brother) would each have kids of their own once they get married & settled into married life and their kids will be my nieces and/or nephews, and they will be his cousins. He then thought about it for a minute and this was our conversation:

Sean: "Mommy, did you get married 3 times?"
(Realizing what he was asking/what he meant, so I said...)
Me: "No, Sean I did not, what do you mean by that?"
Sean: "Well, you have 3 kids, so did you get married 3 times?"
Me: "No, Sean, Mommy and Daddy only got married once."
Sean: "Then how did a baby get into your tummy?"
Me: (Not ready to explain the birds & the bees to him yet....) "When a mommy and daddy love each other, they have a baby".

And then he got distracted by something else, and the conversation was changed. Thankfully!

He's quite the funny/smart kid....! This one is going into his baby book!

9 comments:

kristo said...

Funny. Kaylen and I had that conversation not too long ago too. And the same question! Wondering if I had to get married twice. lol.
Kids are funny.

Kerry said...

LOL Thank goodness for distractions!!!

Celia said...

That's one of those awkward parent moments.

Teena in Toronto said...

Eeeek!

kim said...

Too funny! Both of my boys have lead me into conversations like that lately. I'm not ready for it either!

Sandra said...

We always had the rule that if a kid was old enough to ask the question, he was old enough for the answer. Having said that, it was a tough time when the boy asked. But I sat down and got all technical and he got all dis-interested, and that bought me a couple of years...

Taci simmons said...

How cute!

Dawn said...

Ha ha, you could always do the "go ask your Dad" thing. Although, I had to have such a conversation with my 8yo and he wasn't so easily distracted ;)

~Jo~ said...

Your local library most likely has books on the subject, it's explained in terms the kids will get and it might be easier through a story to talk about it. ;)